Lobster Season Florida Keys
Spiny lobster season in Florida is an exciting time for residents and locals alike, as well as commercial and recreational fishermen. Comprised of two time frames, 'Mini Lobster Season' or Spiny Lobster Sport Season is the two-day period that falls on the last Wednesday and Thursday of the month of July where recreational fisherman can drop nets for their own catch before commercial outfits can. Regular Spiny Lobster Season for commercial fishermen lasts for 8 months and spans from August 6 through March 31.
Spiny Lobster Sport Season
Mini Lobster season is a chance for recreational anglers to try their hand at catching these elusive crustaceans. A two-day frenzy with lots of out of towners coming in the exciting event can be fun for all when the Florida Fish & Wildlife Rules and Regulations are followed on and offshore.Tips to Follow for a Successful Lobstery Outing
- As you prepare to launch your boat be sure you have everything you need ready and be quick getting into the water to avoid traffic on the boat ramp and to start the day off right.
- Be sure to have a measuring device on you at all times. Spiny lobsters must measure a specific length in order to be kept. Use this guide for the required length and be sure to measure your catch in the water.
- Make sure you are carrying a valid Fishing License at all times with the required Spiny Lobster tag.
- Don't use traps, spears or spear guns to catch lobsters.
- Do not dismember lobster until you are back ashore. It must be intact until landed.
- Only pull 6 lobsters from the water per day. This is a Monroe County & Biscayne National Park rule. There is a 12 lobster mac in the rest of Florida.
- Don't keep female lobsters with eggs under their tail. These lobsters must be released.
- Do not harvest of lobster is prohibited in John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park during the Sport Season and in Everglades National Park, Dry Tortugas National Park, no-take areas in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary and in the Biscayne Bay/Card Sound Lobster Sanctuary during both the 2-day sport season and regular season.
night diving is prohibited in Monroe County during Sport Season.